International Relations Office is kind of helpdesk for foreign students, who are under exchange programmes in our University. For us, the most important thing is to make sure that foreign students do not have any problems into fitting into new University or different habits and culture. IRO offers such services as: welcome foreign students and contact with a Polish student (Buddy), help in finding the accommodation, inform about actual activities for students, contact with lecturers.
Address: ul. Wojska Polskiego 28
Tel. +48 61 8487012
Collegium Maximum, 3rd floor, room 309
Office hours: Monday to Friday, 10.00.a.m. – 1.00.p.m.
Institutional Co-ordinator: prof. dr hab. Włodzimierz Nowak
Address: ul. Wołyńska 32
Tel. +48 61 8487235
e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact person for incoming students: mgr Aneta Dach
Address: ul. Wojska Polskiego 28
Tel.+48 61 8466194
e mail: email@example.com
Contact person for Bilateral Agreements and incoming teachers: mgr Joanna Pietrzak
Address: ul. Wojska Polskiego 28
Tel. +48 61 8487012
e mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Higher agricultural studies in the Wielkopolska region date back since 1870. It was then that the Halina School of Agriculture in Żabikowo, situated close to Poznań, was founded thanks to the efforts of August Cieszkowski, an outstanding citizen, philosopher and patron of agricultural sciences and education. It was the only college in Polish territories under the Prussian rule during the partitions. The Prussian partition was particularly poor as far as educational institutions were concerned. The Prussian government ascribed the area the role of raw materials and food supplier; Poles were supposed to deliver hard physical labour only. The school was an exception brought to life against the will and without any help of the foreign government. The institution was erected solely thanks to the enlightened citizens, their initiative and financial support. However the Prussians closed the school after 7 years. In spite of such a short period of its activity, the college had a considerable impact on the standard of agriculture in the region and it became the basis for the future system of higher education in agriculture.The Żabikowo School educated numerous professionals in field of agriculture for the dynamically developing sector of the Polish economy. Apart from that it was a prominent research and experimental center in the areas of both agriculture and forestry. In 1919, after a long period of hard efforts a Polish university, the so-called Wszechnica Piastowska, was founded in Poznań, and in 1920 it was re-named the Poznań University. It incorporated the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry, based to a large extent on both the teaching staff and didactic output of the Higher School in Żabikowo. In 1939, the Germany invaders closed all the insitutions of higher education, including the Poznań University. The Poznań University also inherited vast Żabikowo properties and purchased agricultural areas in the district of Golęcin; the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry conducted its experiments there. The Cieszkowski Collegium which was built at that time still serves its pupose of educating students and carrying out scientific research.
No wonder that we trace the history of our university back to the Halina Higher Agricultural School in Żabikowo. The Halina School had no legal academic rights but the programme realized there was vast and modern and fully met the requirements set by the contemporary agriculture. The education took into consideration the development of both organization and new technologies. Apart from vocational subjects it comprised the education in the fields of natural basis of plant and animal production, a wide range of well-selected economical subjects, social sciences and processing agricultural raw materials. It also included rural construction science and practice, machinery science and knowledge, forest utilization and silviculture, land improvement, economics and management of horticulture, forestry, pomology and vegetable cultivation. The programme was to a meaningful degree close to the presently taught at European universities of agriculture. The creators of the structure are still admired today for their genius and far-sightedness; the most prominent ones were: Juliusz Au, Antoni Sempołowski, Szczęsny Kudełka, Józef Rivoli and others.Owing to the high standards, effective teaching and thus good preparation the graduates of the school were eagerly employed both to build modern farms and manage them, according to their best skills in agreement with biological, natural sciences and organizational developments.The agricultural and forestry studies were conducted at the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry of the Poznań University till 1947, with a break during the German occupation of the country. The Faculty developed markedly owing to the progressing demand for fully skilled workers for both agriculture and silviculture. And this fact combined with the rapidly developing scientific research gave rise to two separate faculties: Agriculture and Forestry. In 1951 the Faculties of Agriculture and Forestry were separated from the University and thus the Higher Agricultural School was formed. The School also gave rise to branches of: Horticulture, Food Technology, Land Reclamation and Wood Technology, as well as the Faculty of Animal Science.
The current development of both scientific staff and achievements created the formal possibility of building separate faculties: Wood Technology (1954), Horticulture (1956), Food Technology (1962) and Land Reclamation (1970). The School was renamed the Agricultural University in 1972 and it housed all the faculties of the High School The Faculty of Land Reclamation changed its name to the Faculty of Land Reclamation and Environmental Engineering in 1990. In April 26, 2007 was created new Faculty – Faculty of Economic and Social Science. In 1996 University was renamed one more time into The August Cieszkowski Agricultural University of Poznań and it was official one till Spring 2008.
Since April 11, 2008 the University has new official name – Poznań University of Life Sciences (PULS). PULS is a state institution of higher education financed mainly by the state budget. Rector is the head of the University and the university’s supreme collegiate body is the Senat – elected for the three year term. Our University employs 833 academic teachers, including 183 professors.
Today Poznań University of Life Sciences continues the tradition. Within the frame of the vocational education, indispensable in the contemporary world, the University offers education in 21 fields of study within the framework of 8 faculties organised into institutes and departments. The majors offered to our students meet both the scientific progress and the needs of modern agriculture, forestry and broadly meant food economy which also follows the vocational idea of education of the mother school in Żabikowo. Presently approximately 12288 students (including extramural and postgraduate ones) are educated annually at eight faculties and the University expands its research and practical facilities in strict cooperation with the sectors of agriculture, forestry and food production. In our acitivities, both theory and practice are considered to be equally important. Therefore, beside lecture halls, classrooms and laboratories, also 12 experimental stations covering the area of 15 thousands hectares of arable land and forests, play a significant role in our research and teaching. Our University owes 10 agricultural and 2 forestry experimental stations. They are located in different places, ranging from the Poznań surroudings to one as far 200 km from Poznań. The stations provide accommodation in dormitories for student participating in field classes and experiments. Presently offers three types of degree programmes:
• bachelor’s degree (licencjat / inżynier)
• master’s degree (magister)
• doctor’s degree (doktor)
Our university owns more than one houndred buidings located in Poznan. PULS combines the tradition with modernity. Classrooms are held in old facilities (Cieszkowski and Runge building) and in modern Biotechnology building. The university’s property include also the Dendrological Garden, located in the neighbourhood of the main buildings which is as old as the university forestry studies in the Wielkopolska region. It was founded to promote science and education, but it also a good place to rest in the peace and quiet, surrounded by the most oustanding trees and shrubs from different parts of the world.
PULS is also owner of the Forest Arboretum Park located 35 km from Poznań in Zielonka experimental station where unique more than 500 plants varietes are presented.
Our employees and students have many opportunities to develop and pursue their personal interests in culture, sports and tourism in numerous clubs, groups and associations. Our Folk Dance Group “Łany” has been the center of the artistic and cultural activity for many students for over 20 years. However, the most popular and versatile are sport activities. Numerous sports and practiced and played, and the successes of students, under supervision and guidance of our Sport Departments teachers, are outstanding.